TERAVoice General (en)

Provider specific VOIP configurations?

Provider specific VOIP configurations? Post Reply
24.03.2005 21:40 billym@online.myersoft.com

I am in the process of learning how to setup VOIP networks for small businesses. One of the products I am learning at this time is a PBX system called Asterisk. The question I have is can I use teravoice server 2004 for a complete incoming and outgoing VOIP solution for a home or small business much like Asterisk? Also I presently have an account with broadvoice that I am using for testing VOIP solutions. A big advantage that Asterisk has is that people are contributing somewhat "dummie" guides to get you started with configuring the product with different service providers. Maybe this is something that can be done here in the newsgroups for configuring teraserver with the different providers. Any assistance with getting this configuration working for broadvoice would be very helpful. As I get more familiar with the software I will try to contribute my configurations with other providers as well.

Re: Provider specific VOIP configurations? Post Reply
24.03.2005 23:20 TERASENS Support

Hello,

thanks very much for your request.

Basically there are two different uses of VoIP:

1. Using VoIP in corporate networks in order to
   simplify infrastructure.

2. Using VoIP to connect to a VoIP provider which
    can terminate calls to the normal PSTN (telephony
    network).

This makes 4 possible combinations:

        Internal        External
A.    PSTN            PSTN
B.    PSTN            VoIP
C.    VoIP            PSTN
D.    VoIP            VoIP

A is the classic setup
B is a setup which is seldom used because there are few
  benefits (except somewhat cheaper rates sometimes)
  and classic internal phones are not able to call other
  VoIP endpoints directly. An interesting use is to connect
  several branch offices together. TERAVoice supports the
  latter with fixed routes and will support dynamic routes in
  the future
C is often used in corporate networks to replace the classic
   telephony infrastructure with VoIP while the connection
   to the network is still classic. This allows corporarations
   to keep their numbering plan while VoIP clients are capable
   to make calls to other VoIP users directly over the internet
   TERAVoice supports this scenario by acting as a gateway
   between VoIP and the PSTN
D is often used by private users, there is no need for a gateway
   because the provider offers gateway functionality

The setup with Broadvoice (which is a VoIP provider) can be
user with B and D, though TERAVoice would not fit here because
TERAVoice is not a PBX. Asterisk is a software PBX and it could
make sense to connect Asterisk directly to a VoIP provider in rare
cases. Broadvoice is more targeted at (private) end-users, that's
why there are mainly VoIP telephones on their web-site, not PBX's.
Though on the other hand, TERAVoice could be used to run a
service like Broadvoice does...

Please describe what setup you want to achieve in detail,
maybe I can give you some more advice then.

Best regards,

Matthias Moetje
-------------------------------------
TERASENS GmbH
Ackermannstraße 3
80797 München
-------------------------------------
Fon: +49 89 143370-0
Fax: +49 89 143370-22
e-mail: moetje at terasens dot de
www:   www.terasens.de
-------------------------------------

wrote in message
> I am in the process of learning how to setup VOIP networks for small
businesses. One of the products I am learning at this time is a PBX system
called Asterisk. The question I have is can I use teravoice server 2004 for
a complete incoming and outgoing VOIP solution for a home or small business
much like Asterisk? Also I presently have an account with broadvoice that I
am using for testing VOIP solutions. A big advantage that Asterisk has is
that people are contributing somewhat "dummie" guides to get you started
with configuring the product with different service providers. Maybe this is
something that can be done here in the newsgroups for configuring teraserver
with the different providers. Any assistance with getting this configuration
working for broadvoice would be very helpful. As I get more familiar with
the software I will try to contribute my configurations with other providers
as well.

Re: Provider specific VOIP configurations? Post Reply
28.03.2005 02:06 billym@online.myersoft.com

The ideal setup would be to use broadvoice to provide the VOIP to a clients server.
This server would have teravoice installed on it to recieve the incomming call/fax
and route it appropriately to the right extension or capture fax to email. I am
under the impression that if setup appropriately, I can allow users to recieve/place
calls from both a soft client as well as an IP phone.

Please let me know if this is not feasable.

> [...]
>called Asterisk. The question I have is can I use teravoice server 2004 for
>a complete incoming and outgoing VOIP solution for a home or small business
>much like Asterisk? Also I presently have an account with broadvoice that I
>am using for testing VOIP solutions. A big advantage that Asterisk has is
>that people are contributing somewhat "dummie" guides to get you started
>with configuring the product with different service providers. Maybe this is
>something that can be done here in the newsgroups for configuring teraserver
>with the different providers. Any assistance with getting this configuration
>working for broadvoice would be very helpful. As I get more familiar with
>the software I will try to contribute my configurations with other providers
>as well.

Re: Provider specific VOIP configurations? Post Reply
29.03.2005 23:36 TERASENS Support

Billy,

unfortunately TERAVoice does not currently offer any PBX
functionality, it can act as a gateway only.
Are you sure that Broadvoice is offering connections with
several extensions? Wouldn't you require one account for
each user, a PBX probably wouldn't even be required,
because people can talk to each other directly. Of course
supplemental services like call transfer wouldn't be possible
then...

Just to explain better, the following setup would be possible,
but of course not very effective:

Broadvoice <=VoIP=> TERAVoice <=ISDN=> PBX <=ISDN=> TERAVoice <=VoIP=> VoIP
Client

This is just to illustrate the functionality of TERAVoice as a
gateway, PBX features are not implemented in the current
version.

Best regards,

Matthias Moetje
-------------------------------------
TERASENS GmbH
Ackermannstraße 3
80797 München
-------------------------------------

wrote in message
> [...]
for
> >a complete incoming and outgoing VOIP solution for a home or small
business
> >much like Asterisk? Also I presently have an account with broadvoice that
> >am using for testing VOIP solutions. A big advantage that Asterisk has is
> >that people are contributing somewhat "dummie" guides to get you started
> >with configuring the product with different service providers. Maybe this
is
> >something that can be done here in the newsgroups for configuring
teraserver
> >with the different providers. Any assistance with getting this
configuration
> >working for broadvoice would be very helpful. As I get more familiar with
> >the software I will try to contribute my configurations with other

 Write Us|  Add to favorites

 ©2009 TERASENS GmbH. All rights reserved. Copyright Notice